Wow, this is such a common question. It’s a real nightmare for businesses because they want to get leads quickly and the only way they can do this is through Google Ads. Unfortunately, this chews up a lot of their advertising budget, leaving very little for SEO. The only issue with this is that if they want their website to rank organically, they have to do SEO and it will take time.
So to make this decision easier for people, I will point out the pros and cons of each and let you decide in the end. These are honest points based on years of dealing with people who are always asking me this question.
Pros of Google Ads (Previously AdWords)
- It’s immediate. You can start advertising your company on day one. It’s a very satisfying feeling seeing your website on the top spot of Google. Even better when somebody calls you from it.
- You can write almost anything you want in the ad (Obviously within Google’s restricted space). But you have flexibility with what you can write.
- You can customize your ad to appear at certain times of the day and geo-target it for certain areas.
- You can measure the performance and ROI – Google’s reporting tools are very good. PLUS, they have a great customer service team. They are based in India but they are super responsive and eager to help with any issue you may have in setting up your Ads account and campaign.
- You can turn it off anytime you want to. Start and stop your campaign at your own free will. If you are too busy, turn it off. It’s immediate.
- You can set the daily budget and control how much you want to spend. You can also almost set the level where you would like your ad to appear. At the very top of the page or the bottom of the page – it’s up to you. When it comes to Adwords, you are in full control.
Cons of Google Ads
- The HIGH COST. You better have a healthy Adwords budget if you want to get in the top 3 positions. This is where you want to be if you expect to get any clicks. In some cases, the cost per click in competitive areas can be over $50 per click. Yes, you heard it right. Other niches are far cheaper and come at about $5 – $10 per click. For this type of money, you need to be converting all those inquiries to make it pay.
- What about those clicks that don’t result in getting a lead. Who do you think is clicking on these ads? You become paranoid and suspicious of your competitors – are they clicking on your ad? This can become very frustrating as the dollars add up and the phones not ringing. This is the worst part of a PPC campaign. It’s this click fraud factor. It can unnerve you. I’ve witnessed people becoming seriously paranoid about this.
- The trust factor about your business is not as high with Adwords. People tend to trust organic listings more than Adword listings. Sometimes you can be perceived (and I’m not saying you are), as dodgy.
Advantages of SEO
This is a big list so I will try to limit it to few of the biggest advantages.
- Customers who are searching online mostly click on organic listing before any Ads listing. They trust what Google ranks and will prefer to deal with companies that are organically on page 1.
- Your business seems much more credible and professional if it is on page 1. Trust is a big thing in the online world and having Google place you right up there is huge achievement for your company.
- 80% of the people will inquire businesses with natural rankings and only 20% with Ads listing.
- Once you have established a strong SEO foundation (this means you have to have find the right SEO Company to get you there), you are likely to stay on top of search engine rankings. This is great news if you rely on SEO to generate leads for your business.
- It is a lot cheaper than Google Ads and the ROI is much better. If you want us to run your SEO campaign, you can discuss the cost with us. And if you are an existing business that has been ripped off by other SEO companies or are just unhappy with the results you are getting, get in touch with us.
Cons of SEO
- SEO takes time. You have to be in it for a long time to see results. This can take anywhere up to a year for competitive niches. You have to be patient and understand that Google will penalise websites that climb the rankings too quickly by using shoddy practices. This is deemed inorganic ‘spammy behavior and Google is awake to this sort of fraudulent activity.
- THIS IS A BIG FACTOR…many companies trying SEO for the first time, unfortunately, end up choosing the wrong agency. There are far too many scams and con artists out there fronting as SEO companies – offering SEO guarantees to convince you to work for your business. Once they have you, you are in their clutches with a binding contract. Finding the best SEO agency in Adelaide is the challenge all local businesses face. If you find the right one, that’s great, but remember it will take time for results to show. Watch out for pushy salespeople offering ‘too good to be true’ results. These are all designed to lull you into a false sense of security.
- If you want to rank you have to spend a decent amount of money every month. Because it is an ongoing continuous campaign, you have to be paying for this every month. If you have a new website and you are just starting the SEO process, you will be paying money without much immediate return. You need to give it at least 6 months to start seeing good results. You have to be honest with yourself and see if you can hold on for that long. If you are patient enough, it will pay huge dividends. But if you’re looking for immediate results, don’t even bother with SEO.
- Your rankings will fluctuate regularly and there is nothing anyone can do about this. Google constantly updates and tweaks its ranking algorithm. One day you might be in position #2 and the next day #8. This can be frustrating, but SEO aims to first get you to page 1 and secondly (which is the hard part) keeping you there with as little fluctuation in rankings as possible. This is what we do best at Adelaide’s best SEO company.
If you are still unsure about the type of marketing that best suits your business and need a clearer understanding about SEO vs Google Ads, please get in touch with us on 0415 147 377, we are your Adelaide SEO Experts.